Wednesday, July 16, 2014

OnCommand Unified Manager - Active Directory Integration Error

OnCommand Unified Manager - Active Directory Integration Error

One of the first things you want to do when setting up the NetApp OnCommand Unified Manager is set up AD integrated authentication.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work out of the box, with the correct settings.



Upon testing, you receive the following error:

"Unable to communicate with the authentication server because the authentication server is not configured properly. Verify your authentication server configuration."



Yeah, I know how to set up LDAP.  I read the documentation on this, and I'm following all the rules.

So, after some experimentation, I discovered that removing the extra attributes from the "member" field, and just leaving "member" - as well as using the CORRECT LDAP syntax (the documentation is wrong) fixes the issue and allows you to successfully authenticate.



Well, now it works!



As I was saying, the authentication documentation is wrong.  They state that the OU should be referenced by DC=OU, but this is incorrect.  It should be OU=OUNAME,DC=DOMAIN,DC=TLD.



2 comments:

  1. thanks, this worked for me. wish it supported LDAPS or AD using SSL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this article. This was a big help though it didn't quite get me to the finish line. I'm on version 9.5 of UM and the official documentation is really vague and/or wrong. I saw one document on their site that said to use the BaseDN of the authentication server. Others indicated the BaseDN of the "administrative" account.

    I was able to leave mine set for Active Directory, but had to use the DN of my service account, not either serviceaccount@domain.tld or domain\serviceaccount as noted in options.

    I also set the BaseDN to be the value where ALL of my users are, not the DN of the authentication server, service account, etc. dc=domain,dc=tld was sufficient.

    Finally to test, I simply entered the ONLY the username value of a domain account. e.g. serviceaccount.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Remove 3D Objects and other annoying folders on Windows 10

 Microsoft just keeps adding more crap to clutter up the navigation in Windows 10.  Seriously, who needs a 3D Objects folder?  The tiny perc...